I recently discovered just how versatile leather is. I started making bags, but quickly realized that leather jewelery was something I had to explore. Without any expectations, I jumped in and came up with a few designs.
This scrap leather necklace can easily be customized using shapes and colors of your choice. Leather comes in a wide variety of textures and thickness, opening the door to an endless variety of combinations.
Can’t find a local source for leather? No problem, an old leather jacket or bag from a thrift store will do the trick :)
What You Need:
- Scrap leather in color of your choice
- Paper to use for feather template
- Metal chain
- (5) Small jump rings, one for each feather
- Thick needle or leather punch
1. Cut the shape of a feather from a piece of paper to use as a template.
2. Trace and cut five feathers from scrap leather using paper feather template.
3. Repeat five times.
4. Using a thick needle or leather punch, make a hole at the base of each feather.
5. Cut small notches on the sides of each feather.
6. Mount each feather on a small jump ring.
7. Cut a 1/4-in. strip of leather 6 in. in length. Punch a hole on each end for attaching the chain. Next, slide each feather onto the strip of leather and attach the metal chain on each end of the leather step.
Voliá, your new necklace is ready to wear.